Tesco has unveiled a range of budget wines, packaged in one-litre Tetra Paks and priced at £2.89.
The three-strong range, which includes a red, a white and a rosé, has been sourced from from Spanish producer Felix Solis Avantis.
Tesco says it has launched the range to “support customer’s needs” in a rapidly changing market. But the introduction of the range also echoes the supermarket giant’s commitment to reduce its packaging waste by 25% by 2010.
Wine category manager, Andrew Carpenter, said: “The market has changed rapidly over the past 12 months, and we have responded quickly and effectively to these conditions to support our customers’ needs.
“While our average bottle spend is still over £4, an increasing number of customers are forced to limit their spend. Rather than lose them from the category entirely, we have responded with a stronger value offering.”
Tesco is the Anti-Christ. It's official.
Oh dear. Tesco, Tesco, Tesco. What do you think that Terry Leahy drinks at home? Not this rubbish, that’s for sure.
The range is on sale now. I urge you to avoid at all costs.
- Tesco wine chief hoists himself by his own petard. Ouch. May 25, 2011
- Which Wine Would Feature in The Movie of Your Life? February 4, 2009
- Caption This Photo: I’m only drinking with you because… June 18, 2010
- Concha Y Toro Killed My MacBook Pro July 30, 2009
- Caption This Photo! May 27, 2009
- Warning: Unmanned drones are targeting your wine December 11, 2012
- The Truth behind the Robert Parker Wine Advocate deal December 10, 2012
- David Mitchell is whining about wine November 24, 2012
- Zombie Wine: We’re coming to get you Barbara November 24, 2012
- When Fashion and Wine Collide… November 14, 2012
- russell: its cheap and your worth it...
- Gavino: Fair enough Alex - although, as you can tell from ...
- alex: Gavin Williams Profile: "As an independent consul...
- Dave Menzies: I used to be tempted by the "half price" offers...
- Anders: Dan Jago is a wine man. Rowan Gormley is a markete...
1980's alcohol apple argentina australia bacchus Beaujolais Nouveau berry bros berry bros and rudd cabernet cabernet sauvignon champagne chardonnay Concha Y Toro decanter fine wine ipad iphone majestic marketing merlot naked wines new zealand oddbins red wine riesling rioja shiraz social media supermarket Tesco the wine society video virgin wines wine wine advertising wine cellar wine industry wine labels winemaker wineoftheweek wines wine video world cup zinfandel